Southern Miss is partnering with Examity® to assist you in your proctoring needs for your online classes. This provides another option for distance students who can’t meet at a proctoring center.
- Faculty should set exam dates and times (in Central Time Zone) before the term starts and provide this schedule in the syllabus, along a syllabus statement advising students of their proctoring options.
- Emphasize on the syllabus that students need to go through Canvas to create their accounts and to schedule exams through Examity® link under Modules.
- Students should keep track of their confirmation email and/or screenshot of registration.
- Edit the details or unpublish your Canvas Quizzes before making the Examity link available to students.
- Access the Examity link as Instructor to ensure students are only seeing the tests you wish proctored.
- Setup your exams with the proctoring service/site early in the term.
- It is highly recommended to scheduled your exams to be available for more than one day.
- Examity contact person is Graham Jones, email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions by Instructors
Before you can add the Examity link, you must send an email to Susan.Rayborn@usm.edu to request the course be added to Examity’s tool. Provide the course/s and sections.
After 24 hours, you will be able to add the Examity link –
- Click Modules
- Click the +Module button
- Name the module Examity
- Click the + located to the right of the newly added module’s name
- Click the drop down next to Assignments to expand the list
- Click External Tool
- Find Examity in the list
- Click Add Item
Instructors should access Examity to ensure only those tests to be proctored are visible to students.
- Click on the Examity link.
- Click the button next to Instructor
- Click Login
- Click the down arrow to choose your time zone.
- Click the Courses/Exams tab.
Publish the Examity module/link to allow students access.
Scheduling Outside the Testing Window:
To schedule an exam outside the test window, send an email to the student and copy firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following information in your email:
Subject Line: University of Southern Mississippi – Permission Granted to Schedule Outside Testing Window – Student Name
How long the extension is granted for
In the email – please ask the student to call our support desk at 855-392-6489, option 1 and a support agent will be able to help schedule the student.
The quizzes/tests/exams created in Canvas will show on the Examity® portal approximately 24 hours after the test are published in Canvas.
In other words, when you publish the test in Canvas, the update of data is pushed after midnight, and the test will show in the Examity® portal the following day.
Be sure to click the Expand arrow located on the left of the name of the course to see all associated tests.
By default, Examity® will import over all published tests in your Canvas course.
You must manually add a new exam, when your students must access a Publisher’s site to take a test.
- Click Examity to enter as instructor
- Setup your time zone
- Click Courses/Exams
- Click the arrow to the left of the course id
- This will expand the tests associated with the courses.
- Click the trash can next to any test you do not want proctored. This will eliminate it from Examity, but the test will still live in Canvas.
Frequently Asked Questions by Students
Examity® can be found under the Examity SSO Module.
- Click Modules on the course menu.
- Click the Examity link
The proctoring fee is determined by the duration the instructor has set for the exam.
- $15.00 for the first hour and $7.00 for each additional hour.
- Students are charged a $5.00 late fee if scheduled within 24 hours of the exam opening date.
- Mississippi charges 7% sales tax on the service.